Medical assistant resume examples can show you how to format your resume and communicate your skills, knowledge and work experience in a convincing and persuasive manner. Targeting your resume to the specific requirements of a particular job description can help you show how you are a great fit for a particular medical assistant’s role.
Whether your experience has been in an administrative or clinical capacity, try to use powerful “resume buzz words” in order to communicate your achievements. Where possible, emphasise responsibilities and opportunities you have taken to show initiative and independence. For example:
- Have you been in charge of clerical jobs such as updating patient records?
- Have you been responsible for completing insurance forms?
- Have you arranged for patients to be admitted to hospital or have lab services performed?
- Did you manage administrative tasks such as answering the phone, dealing with mail?
- Do you have experience of dealing with patients, for example at a reception desk, or recording medical histories and vital signs?
- Have you worked under the direction of a physician to prepare or administer medication, explain tests or procedures to patients, set up for tests or screening such as x-rays or an ECG, handle basic functions such as drawing blood, changing dressings or removing sutures?
These are just some of the responsibilities that may feature in a resume for this kind of job. Medical assistants work in many different settings, such as hospitals, inpatient and outpatient centres, health care group practices, and offices of general physicians and specialists such as chiropractors, optometrists and podiatrists.
The following example may be useful as a template to help you design your own medical assistant resume.
462 Shaker Boulevard South, Solon, OH 44139
CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT
Experienced and efficient CMA currently working in a temporary role (as maternity leave cover) in a general medical group practice. An effective team member who cooperates well with others, has excellent communication skills with patients and co-workers, and handles a wide range of administrative and clinical tasks responsibly. Maintains strict confidentiality.
|• Assists clinicians||• Patient interviews, EMR management|
|• Laboratory tests||• Instrument preparation|
|• Reception desk||• Customer service skills|
|• Equipment inventory / ordering||• Data entry|
|• Excellent written / oral skills||• Cheerful and cooperative demeanor|
Brightwell Healthcare Services, Solon, OH (February 2011 – present)
Temporary Medical Assistant
- Assist doctors and nursing staff in patient evaluation and treatment.
- Perform diagnosis procedures according to physician’s direction.
- Handle drug screen collections and draw blood when requested.
- administer intramuscular / subcutaneous injections as directed.
- Maintain testing equipment and supplies.
- General clerical duties as required.
- Greet patients and escort them to and from treatment rooms.
- Record patient data before the doctor or nurse sees them: weight, height, vital signs, current medications, allergies, reason for visit.
- Help with delegated tasks for patient education.
Maycrest Medical Centre, Cleveland, OH (December 2007 – January 2011)
Administrative Medical Assistant
- Managed a variety of front and back office functions.
- Managed the collation of patient records, diagnostics, consultations, lab data, etc as required by doctors for patient assessment.
- Maintained patient EMRs.
- Handled diagnostic and treatment coding as directed.
- Answered and returned telephone calls.
- In charge of calling pharmacies for prescriptions.
- Scheduled procedures and tests, made appointments for test follow-up consultations.
- Prepared treatment rooms, monitored supply stocks, replenished supplies and ordered replacements as needed.
- Ensured a functional, orderly and clean work environment.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATION
Diploma in Medical Assisting
Eastfield College, OH
Certified Medical Assistant (AAMA)