Your teacher assistant resume gives you the opportunity to showcase your skills and experience in working with children and assisting class teachers to deliver rewarding and enriching learning experiences. And because a child’s education doesn’t just stop at the classroom door, there are many other chances to show how you have been able to take part in wider school activities that benefit students, from the lunch room or recess area, to field trips and parent-teacher conferences.
The specific functions of a teacher’s assistant or aide will depend on the nature of the school and the special needs of the students in your care. But you are likely to be involved in coordinating teaching efforts with the main class teacher, assisting children individually or in groups, observing and assessing them according to pre-defined standards, and supervising outside the classroom as well as in lessons.
Like any teacher, you will likely have responsibilities to do with maintenance of equipment and supplies, the upkeep of class displays and bulletin boards, and quite a lot of documentation. You will probably have to take part in staff meetings and liaise with your colleagues on whole-school issues as well as individual students.
Guide To Getting A Teaching Job
Written by a veteran teacher and experienced interviewer of teachers, the Guide To Getting The Teaching Job Of Your Dreams takes you through writing your teacher resume and cover letter AND helps you prepare for an interview – including 50 of the most commonly asked teacher interview questions (and how to answer them!)
This teacher assistant has had two previous teaching positions, and has also had experience with the Head Start program. Her resume objective does more than say what sort of job she is seeking – it profiles her skills and teaching philosophy, and makes use of bullet points for clarity of reading. It has elements of the functional resume format, because she has grouped her work history separately from her experience and skill clusters. Compare it to other teaching resumes as well.
103 Blakemore Avenue, Columbus, OH 43209
Tel: (098) 765-4321
Dedicated teacher assistant / teaching aide with a passion for advancing the intellectual, physical, and social development of students through positive, enriching, and safe learning experiences. I believe providing in actively involving family members in educational programs wherever possible.
|• Student interaction||• Volunteer / teacher aide support|
|• Student assessment||• Liaison with principal, class teachers, subject specialists|
|• Lesson plans & curriculum planning||• Head Start Program|
|• Parent/teacher conferences||• Continuing education / professional development|
|• Classroom documentation / education folders||• Classroom maintenance|
Dragon School, Dublin, OH – Teacher Assistant (2008 – present)
St John’s School, Powell, OH – Teacher Assistant (2004 – 2008)
- Help in teaching exercises to support lesson plans and supervise classroom activities
- Devise learning activities under class teacher direction
- Facilitate age-appropriate activities in accordance with Head Start program standards
- Monitor child safety at all times
- Keep clean, safe, healthy classroom environment
- Check and maintain working order of classroom equipment
- Take part in family-style mealtimes with students
- School bus loading / unloading
- Use my Spanish language fluency to assist ESL students
- Help lead teacher with student observation and documentation (Early Screening Inventory, Creative Curriculum, Ages and Stages, etc.)
- Stay in close contact with parents on daily activities and routines, special events and field trips, incidents, volunteer programs
- Assist in design and maintenance of wall panels and activity boards in classrooms and hallways
- Complete class documentation, attendance records, individual student folders, portfolios, supply inventory and requisitions, checklists as directed
- Help in orientation / induction of volunteers, teacher aides
- Take part in staff meetings and team co-ordination, professional development training activities, workshops and seminars
- Maintain excellent relationships with teaching colleagues, respect confidentiality, maintain awareness of sensitive issues
- Scott College, OH: A.A.S. Early Childhood Education
- Child Development Associate (CDA)
- Dalton High School, Dalton Village, OH: High School Diploma
SPECIAL SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
- Nature Camp Counselor, Columbus, OH
- Swimming, dancing, dramatic arts
- Excellent computer skills (PC and Mac proficient), Microsoft Office programs